What is the Difference between Web Series and TV Series?
People want to get a little relief from the various pressures of life. Wants to wander in a little dreamy world, wants to meet the joy. They sit in front of the TV set for a while and watch a drama, reality show, cooking, beauty pageant, game show, or children’s show.
But to watch a 40-minute drama, the audience has to spend 80 to 100 minutes. The rest of the time it’s advertising or news headlines. Who has so much patience to watch dramas with so much time!
This is why modern viewers have chosen YouTube or various online video streaming platforms. Walking in the path of time and carrying the burden of innovation, the wind of change is blowing in the entertainment arena. The sophisticated technology in content creation and display, story, song, action, variety in location – all in all, the web series is becoming popular.
In this article, I will share with you what are the differences between web series and TV series?
Differences between Web Series and TV Series
10 differences between web series and TV series
1. Web Series means a series of scripted or non-scripted videos/episodes, streamed on the Internet medium for viewership.
TV Series or Television Series means a group of videos/episodes, streamed on the TV medium for viewership.
2. You need to have an internet-connected modern device like a smartphone, tablet, laptop, desktop, etc. that can be used for browsing the web to watch a web series.
On the other hand, you need to have a broadcasting service like cable or DTH-connected Television to watch a TV Series.
3. The duration of the Web series is usually very short. A single episode could last anywhere from 2 to 30 minutes, including commercials. Some web series are as lengthy as television episodes. The duration could range from 30 minutes to an hour. For example, some web series Shaktimaan, Vanity, Friends, Small Wander, etc.
But in the case of TV series, they are usually longer than web series. A single episode lasts anywhere from 30 minutes or 1 hour, including commercials. For example, names of some TV series are Game of Throne, Friends (Longest running tv series), Sherlock Holmes, etc.
4. You will have to wait weekly or will have to tune in at a particular time of the day to watch a TV Series episode.
There are no such restrictions in the case of web series. You can watch your favorite web series at your own suitable time, as long as you have an internet connection.
5. The viewers can follow a web series even more easily when they can watch an episode anytime they want on different devices such as smartphones, tablets, and so on.
On the other hand, a TV Series would enable you to turn into a certain channel at a specific time.
6. You can watch a web series online or offline. There are many online streaming platforms from where you can download web series and watch them offline without an internet connection.
But you can’t watch TV series offline. To watch a TV series, you have to be in front of the TV when the episode starts.
7. After a web series uploaded to an online streaming platform you can watch it anytime you want. It will remain on the Internet until the web series is deleted. You can watch the web series as many times as you like.
But when an episode of a TV series is over, there is no chance to watch it. If an episode of a TV series is not re-broadcast after it is over, you will not be able to watch it again.
8. To watch a web series you need to subscribe to a streaming platform for a fixed fee. However, some platforms also offer the opportunity to watch web series for free. And the extra cost is you have to pay your internet service provider.
On the other hand, you don’t have to pay any subscription fee to watch a TV series. All you have to pay your broadcasting service provider.
9. Web series are very popular in city areas because of the high-quality internet connection and supporting technology.
On the other hand, TV series are much popular in rural areas where there is a low-quality internet connection or supporting technology.
10. The range of viewers watching the web series is limited. Usually Urban based, young people watch web series. So Producers have much more freedom over the content and they can show what they want.
On the other hand, the viewer range of watching TV series is quite large. Villagers, younger and older people all watch TV series. So producers have less freedom over the content and they can’t show everything that they want due to censorship rules.
Read Also: Difference between Web Series and Movies
After all, both the TV series and the web are two big parts of our entertainment world. TV series are quite popular. Everyone from young to old watches TV series.
Although the web series is a new addition to the world of entertainment, it has very well established a place of its own. VOD platforms are trying to improve on this rising trend by continuously streaming several web series.
They may also introduce each episode individually to spark viewers’ interest. If an episode is published on a website, it is still available, and viewers have the option of watching it several times if they so choose. Online shows have unquestionably transformed the face of television in the last few years.